In an Australian first, children’s picture books are being created using research for free online programs to assist parents better support young children whose parent’s give their health in service to their country.
‘And so things have been a bit different’ explores the emotional and physical roller-coaster of a family that has a parent who is injured when they are on service. It is particularly targeted at families who experience this and helps the parents start conversations about the changes in their family and develop emotional understanding and build resilience.
The 3 books we are creating will look at physical injuries and mental health conditions in an age-appropriate way. They will be used in 3 of our program modules that are for very specific families who have experienced these issues. They will have extension activities for parents to use with children. Additionally, for the parents themselves, there will be information about some of the challenges, potential sources of support, ways to transition the family to the new reality, and ways to build understanding and resilience in the family unit.
Here is our graphic illustrator, Raph Roberts from the UNE LaTT Media Team, working on our eBooks.
- Song competition information
- give us ideas for the programs and resources (we would love to hear from parents, educators and family workers)
Explore other resources:
- educator’s and family worker resources
- parent’s resources
- Auslan Keyword Signing resources (for those with disability or language delays, or those wanting to learn Auslan Keyword Signing)
- planned educator and parent program module topics
- academic and policymaker resources
New resources being created:
- eBooks, digital interactives and activity books list and age groups
- eBooks (a peek inside)
- a makeover of our old eBooks (a peek inside)
- planned program module topics for parents and educators
Please like us on Facebook https://fb.me/ecdefenceprograms
Please click on the icon to see our Tweets @ DefenceEC