You can scroll down to download the book and accompanying educational resources.
About this series of books
These 3 books explore parents working away in a more general way. That is, they do not focus on military families. They were written from her research data and experience teaching many children who experience parents:
- working away in mining, oil and gas, transport, emergency services, health, and tourism, or
- parents who are very busy at certain times of the year, such as during harvest time on a farm.
The books explore ways to support children to understand what their parent does when they work away, and how they feel about their parent’s absence. The books also explore ways to cope and build resilience.
They are suitable for all children, whether they have a parent working away or not. The book is also designed to increase peer empathy and understanding of what other children experience in their families.
About ‘My Colourful Kite: Nick’s Story’
This book, ‘My Colourful Kite: Nick’s Story’ focuses on separation anxieties children can sometimes have when parents go away for work or training. In this book, Nick’s mother has to go away for a long training session, so he spends some time with her before she goes. They make a kite together. Nick tells the story of his struggles as he waits for his mother to return.
We are working with illustrator Tanya Cooper and are looking forward to her magical touch on the book.
The book explores clinginess as a social response in children.
You can download these free resources:
- eBook: My Colourful Kite. Nicks Story
- Accompanying Educational Activities educational activities (including puzzles, puppets, matching games, card games, board games, sight words, sequencing and storytelling activities)
- Audio read-along version
- Another audio read-along version
All eBooks, downloadable (printable) versions of the book, and online educational materials are free. You can also order a commercial, professionally printed:
- A4 tough book (wire coil bound – slightly smaller than an A4),
- A5 tough book (wire coil bound – half the size of an A4),
- A3 Big Book paperback for teaching groups of children (wire coil bound – twice the size of A4), and
- hard card stock Educational Activities pack (looseleaf).
You are not paying for author royalties, illustrators, graphic designers or technicians. You are paying for a commercial printery (Fuji Xerox Australia) to do on-demand printing, a commercial bookstore (UNE Life Campus Books) to process and pack the online order, Australia Post, a $2 donation to Legacy Australia, and $1-3 for the ECDP project to host their website and continue to provide revisions and updates to the materials, and new resources. The postage and handling is a $14 flat fee for as many books and teaching materials as you like via regular post (so, think about ordering with friends, your organisation, your early childhood service or school). Express Post and International Postage is calculated by weight. Once you click on the link, scroll down to the advanced search, then search by typing ‘Defence’ into the ‘Title’ bar or the name of the particular book you are after.
Constructive feedback welcome
Please contact us with any constructive feedback about these resources because we are still evaluating them.
Other books in this series
- Where is Work? Harry’s Story explores children’s feelings when their parents work away
- What do you do when you miss your parents? Rachael’s Story looks at the ways children connect with their absent parents.
Why are these resources free?
We have received funding from generous organisations that recognise the needs of young children who experience a parent working away. They also recognise the need to build community capacity to develop empathy and build capacity to support these families.
Explore other resources:
- children’s resources
- educator’s and family worker resources
- parent’s resources
- Auslan Keyword Signing resources (for those with disability or language delays, or those wanting to learn Auslan Keyword Signing)
- academic and policymaker resources
New resources being created:
- eBooks, digital interactives and activity books list and age groups
- eBooks (a peek inside)
- a makeover of our old eBooks (a peek inside)
Please like us on Facebook https://fb.me/ecdefenceprograms
Please click on the icon to see our Tweets @ DefenceEC