You can scroll down to download the book and accompanying educational resources.
Who doesn’t love a makeover?
The original eBook on the Defence Member and Family Support website has had a complete makeover. (Scroll down to see the new version).
The 3 adorable Defence Dogs tell the story. These characters, designed by Trish Donald, tell the story and promote emotional understanding and resilience.
The story explores some of the strategies Anthony uses to help him when he is missing his father. He also explains how he helps his mother and sister as they are missing his father too. ‘Now that I am big’ looks at some of the emotional responses children have to a parent working away, including the way they push away from the parent in order to protect themselves.
Some of these resources can be found below. To access all of these resources, please visit the Children’s Resource Modules.
You can download these free resources:
- eBook: Now that I am Big: Anthony’s Story
- Accompanying Educational Activities (including puzzles, puppets, matching games, card games, board games, sight words, sequencing and storytelling activities)
- Audio read-along version
- Key Word Sign read-along version (using key Auslan signs)
- Template to create a personalised book when Mum (1) or Dad (2) goes away. Now that I am big_ Anthony’s Story Personalised version 1 and Amended Now that I am big_ Anthonys Story Personalised version 2 (Instructions can be found in our Children’s modules).
- Commercially printed book All eBooks, interactive eBooks, downloadable (printable) versions of the book and teaching materials are free due to our wonderful funders. You can also order (and pay for) commercial, professionally printed books (details to come).
- Interactive app: (requires constant internet) for children to get the most out of the interactive app, they need to be very familiar with the story. After that, they can engage with just a few pages of the app at a time.
Desperately seeking feedback
Thanks for test-driving our Early Childhood Defence Program project resources.
We desperately need feedback so that we can:
- improve our resources,
- let our funders know if the resources are effective, or need improving, and
- apply for further funding to produce more resources to support children and families.
This survey should only take about 5 minutes. We really appreciate your time.
Other books in this series
- Mary’s Alphabet Slippery Dip
- D is for Deployment: Ann’s story
- T is for Training: Rosie’s story
- Waiting for Daddy: Rose’s story
Explore other resources:
- children’s resources
- educator’s and family worker resources
- parent’s resources
- Auslan Keyword Signing resources (for those with disability or language delays, or those wanting to learn Auslan Keyword Signing)
- academic and policymaker resources
Please like us on Facebook https://fb.me/ecdefenceprograms
Please click on the icon to see our Tweets @ DefenceEC