You can scroll down to download the book and accompanying educational resources.
About this series of books
These 5 books explore family life for defence (military) families. It explores parents working away, then returning due to deployment, absence from home, training and work-ups.
The books explore ways to support children to understand what their parent does when they work away, and how they feel about their parent’s absence. The books also explore ways to cope and build resilience.
About ‘Waiting for Daddy: Rose’s Story’
The original eBook on the Defence Member and Family Support website has had a complete makeover. (Scroll down to see the new version).
This book explores what life is like for Rose as her father goes away on deployment. Rosie and her brother interact with their father in different ways while he is away, and they find ways to support each other and their mother.
Raph Roberts and Trish Donald are the illustrators of this book. The lovable characters interact and empathise with Rose and her family members.
The book explores children’s emotional and physical responses to their parent’s absence.
Some of these resources can be found below. To access all of these resources, please visit the Children’s Resource Modules.
You can download these free resources:
- eBook: Waiting for Daddy. Roses Story
- Accompanying Educational Activities (including puzzles, puppets, matching games, card games, board games, sight words, sequencing and storytelling activities)
- Audio read-along version
- Key Word Sign read-along version (using key Auslan signs)
- Template to create a personalised version of the book when Mum (1) or Dad are away. Waiting for Daddy_ Roses Story Personalised version 1 and Waiting for Daddy_ Roses Story Personalised version 2 (Instructions can be found in our Children’s modules).
- Commercially printed book All eBooks, interactive eBooks, downloadable (printable) versions of the book and teaching materials are free due to our wonderful funders. You can also order (and pay for) commercial, professionally printed books (details to come).
- Interactive app: (requires constant internet) for children to get the most out of the interactive app, they need to be very familiar with the story. After that, they can engage with just a few pages of the app at a time.
Desperately seeking feedback
Thanks for test-driving our Early Childhood Defence Program project resources.
We desperately need feedback so that we can:
- improve our resources,
- let our funders know if the resources are effective, or need improving, and
- apply for further funding to produce more resources to support children and families.
This survey should only take about 5 minutes, and we really appreciate your time.
Other books in this series
- give us ideas for the programs and resources (we would love to hear from parents, educators and family workers)
Explore other resources:
- educator’s and family worker resources
- parent’s resources
- Auslan Keyword Signing resources (for those with disability or language delays, or those wanting to learn Auslan Keyword Signing)
- planned educator and parent program module topics
- academic and policymaker resources
Please like us on Facebook https://fb.me/ecdefenceprograms
Please click on the icon to see our Tweets @ DefenceEC